Out with Granny Smith; in with Pink Lady. Well, not totally out with Granny Smith; lets just give old Granny a break. When it comes to baking the perfect apple pie you need the perfect apple: Pink Lady. This game changing Pink Lady Apple is sweet, tropical and mildly tarte. She is crisp and juicy. The Pink Lady Apple works marvelously in any culinary application; she resists browning and doesn’t shrink.
For the perfect apple pie, you should use a combination of 2 – 3 different varieties of apples. The best combination includes Pink Lady, Granny Smith with Jonamac. For Pink Lady Apple Pie, the Pink Lady Apple will be the predominant apple with equal amounts of Granny Smith and Jonamac. Use a basic pie dough recipe for crust or purchase from the grocer refrigerated section.
This mouthwatering apple pie, predominately made from the PInk Lady Apple with have your palate doing the the happy dance. The satisfying flavors from this delicious pie will have everyone asking whats your secret!
- 2 lbs Pink Lady Apples peeled, cored and cut into slices about 1/8"
- 1 lb Granny Smith Apples peeled, cored and cut into slices about 1/8" thick
- 1 lb Jonamac Apples peeled, cored and cut into slices 1/8" thick
- 1/2 cup firmly packed, light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar plus 2 tbs for sprinkling
- 1 1/2 tblsp cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp cold, unsalted butter cut into 1/2 pieces
- 1 egg white
Pre-heat oven to 400 F. In a 7 quart pot or dutch oven, stir together the apples, brown sugar, sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg over medium heat, stirring often, until the apples are tender, approximately 20 minutes. Uncover and cook until the liquid has become thickened and glossy. Approximately 10 more minutes. Squeeze juice of half of lemon around mixture, stir and let cool for 30 - 40 minutes. While cooling, roll out your dough or use pre-made dough from the refrigerated section at the grocery. This is a deep dish pie recipe so you will need a deep dish pie plate as well as additional crust for the top of the pie. *See pie dough recipe.
Tips for A Perfect Pie
- If your fruit filling is thin and runny add more cornstarch with an equal amount of water, a little at a time, until mixture reaches desired thickness.
Make a statement with these adorable cupcake toppers this holiday season. Their holiday collection of picks, papers and garlands adds flair to holiday festivities. Affiliate link: . Discover Holiday Flair!