This basic pie dough recipe is a proven delicious dough.
The perfect, all purpose pie dough works marvelously with any pie. This recipe makes enough for one 9" pie. You will need to make 2 - 3 batches for a lattice crust, deep dish pie.
- 1 1/4 cup unbleached ap flour
- 1 Tbs sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 Tbs cold unsalted butter cut into cubes
- 3 Tbs ice water
Fit mixer with flat beater, stir together the flour, sugar and salt. Add butter and toss with a fork to coat with the flour mixture. Mix on medium low until the texture is like coarse corn meal. The butter should be no larger than small peas. Add the water on tablespoon at a time on low until dough pulls together. Transfer dough to floured work surface. Pat into a flattened disk. Roll out immediately to a 12 inch circle. Place into pie plate and refrigerate for 20 - 30 minutes. Roll out second batch and cut into 5 strips for a the basket weave, repeat with a third batch also cut into 5 strips. Construct weave on a parchment round, and flip over onto top of pie. Pinch edges. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with 2 tbs sugar.
Tips for Perfect Pie Crust
- Don't Overwork Dough. This releases glutens in the flour and crust will become tough.
- Add Just Enough Water. Add water a little at a time. You need just enough for dough to roll out easily.
- Keep everything really cold. Refrigerate mixing bowl too. You can even refrigerate dough in the pie dish before baking.
- Prevent Soggy Crust. Lightly brush bottom crust with a beaten egg white to seal it before baking.
- Prevent Cracked Doug. If dough cracks, it may be to cold or does not have enough moisture. Add a tiny bit of water to make it more pliable.